I love reading, so I am always on the lookout for great books. One thing that I have noticed is when I read a book on someone else’s life that is encouraging and inspiring it really makes me think about my own life a little bit more. Especially if that person went through something extreme like a prisoner of war camp or the Jews during the Holocaust. It makes me realize just how blest I am to have the life I have! It makes me challenge my attitude and brings more contentment with my own life. So I encourage you to pick up a good book on someone’s life and see how it blesses you!
Some of my favorite books that inspire contentment:
1. Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. A story of a World War II soldier who endured more than I can imagine. His story is one I could read multiple times.
2. Kisses From Katie by Katie Davis. A story of a young woman who went over to Uganda for a mission trip and ended up staying there. Since she has adopted 13 Ugandan children. She has such an amazing perspective on life that really convicts my heart.
3. Fearless by Eric Blehm. The story of Adam Brown. A navy seal that paid the ultimate sacrifice for his country.
4. Anne Frank’s Diary is another great read to inspire contentment.
Books on my reading list:
1. Through Gates of Splendor by Elisabeth Elliot. The story of 5 missionaries who were killed in Ecuador.
2. One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp
3. 7: An Experimental Mutiny Against Excess by Jen Hatmaker.
If you don’t like reading try listening to inspirational stories through podcasts or CDs. We can learn a lot through the lives of others.
Is there any books you have read you would like to share? I am always looking for more good reads!
Scripture to ponder:
Proverbs 1:5- “A wise man will hear, and will increase learning; and a man of understanding shall attain unto wise counsels.”
Homework for the Heart:
Make a goal to read one inspirational book, article, or listen to a podcast! There are also great documentaries out there if you like watching something vs reading!