I made a coat for Kina! I couldn’t be more excited about this project! As I was working on this coat, I couldn’t help by think, five years ago I didn’t even believe I could sew. Yet here I am making a coat! With that said, I am pretty proud of it. Plus the model couldn’t be any cuter!
I knew I wanted to make K a coat awhile ago. She had a really fancy coat given to her that is more for wearing to church, but she didn’t have any everyday coats. I searched around trying to find the coat I wanted and came across The Abbey Jacket by Shwin and Shwin. I wanted to make her a coat that would go through winter, but the Abbey Jacket was more for fall. It is designed to be sewn in fleece, with a lightweight cotton lining. I knew that wouldn’t last through our Illinois winters. I was so excited when I found a wool coat tutorial on the Shwin and Shwin blog using the Abbey Jacket pattern. I couldn’t get over how cute it was so I bought it!
The tutorial recommended sizing up to make the wool version so I made a 2T instead of 18 months. I did however use the 18 month sleeve length. They ended up being too short, so I was barely able to hem them. It bugs me, but I guess no one else sees the inside! I did stray a little bit from the tutorial because I used fleece lining instead of cotton. I wanted it to be as warm and snuggly as possible. Since Kina is pretty skinny I didn’t bother sizing up once more due to the added fleece bulk, but you may consider sizing up yet another time if your child fits right into the original size. I knew 18month would probably be a little big on her. I kept the 2T coat length since she is so tall for her age. The wool coat tutorial has added fulness on the front, I opted to follow the original pattern for that step.
In the wool coat tutorial I did not see where the sleeve was lined. I wanted to add that extra warmth so I lined the sleeves too. Since I had no tutorial to go off of and I had never made a coat before, I totally messed this part up. You would think I would be able to logically think through it, but obviously I couldn’t! Instead of attaching the sleeves to the body lining, I attached the lining to the coat, then added the sleeve lining. Functionally it works fine, visually it isn’t so pretty. Since I have never lined any garments yet, I think my mind was blown trying to figure out how it was all going to work out. Next time I will know to add the lining sleeves to the body before attaching the lining to the coat!
I absolutely love this pattern. It is an incredibly cute design. I never did find how much I was supposed to hem the sleeve though. I may have totally missed it despite my double and quadruple checking. If anyone makes it and finds it tell me please! Im sure it is in plain sight! I ended up trying it on K to see the sleeve length and adjust from there. That’s when I realized it was perfect length un-hemmed! Yikes! My daughter may have crazy long monkey arms like me. I should have gone with the 2T length! Despite my mess ups, I am really excited about this coat and I smile every time I put it on her. Someone came up to me in Target and asked where I got it. It makes me feel incredibly awesome when someone loves something I made enough to ask where I got it. I am addicted to sewing clothes, and it only fuels the fire!
Fabric: JoAnne Fabrics
Chest Measurements: 18.5″
Size sewn: 2T with 18 month arm length
Modifications: I jumped between the actual pattern instructions and the wool coat instructions on Shwin and Shwin’s site. I added lining in the sleeves as well. I cut all the pieces on the grain except for the top back piece which I cut cross grain for added detail. As you can see I didn’t take the time to match up the pattern on the side seams. I was too lazy and figured the pattern was busy enough it didn’t really matter. 0:
Fabric is from JoAnne Fabrics.