Remember those awesome red sparkly leggings I made for Kina’s Christmas outfit? I decided she needed a church dress to wear with those awesome leggings. I purchased the Margot Knit Dress by Violet Threads about a month ago and decided that was the pattern I would use. I almost didn’t share this post because the dress didn’t turn out the best, but I want to share the good and bad on here. I want to share the not so awesome makes because I think on social media we can get wrapped up in the perfection of everything. I am learning to become proud of my imperfection too. I am fully aware that life isn’t perfect and we aren’t perfect, but social media tells us another story. I don’t want this blog to be all about perfection because life isn’t perfect and that’s ok. So here is my imperfectly sewn Margot dress! I really do love this pattern so I am sure another one of these will be gracing the blog in the future, hopefully sewn up a little better. 🙂
I honestly almost just threw the dress away because the sewing/fitting process was a disaster. There was this war inside me. “I spent my time on this dress, it would really warm and would be comfy, and I don’t have time to make another dress to go with those rad leggings…” Plus one of my friends told me she thought it looked good. Thanks friend, not sure if you were telling the truth or not, but it gave me courage to keep working away on it 🙂 Loren said he liked it, but did notice the neckline was a little strange. All you totally amazing seamstresses out there are probably cringing at this post :0 But that’s ok. I am about certain we have all had our sewing flops, I am just the tacky one who still dresses my child in it anyway!
There are probably many reasons that caused this project to flop. One of the first ones would be the size was wrong for Kina. Am I the only one who is way too antsy to wait until my kid grows into the pattern?!? Many patterns start and 2T and my little lady is not that old yet. She is however tall for her age so I can usually get away with sewing 2T clothes for her by make a few modifications. I went ahead and started making this pattern. The modifications I normally make include: decreasing the neck hole width, shortening the sleeves, and using a slightly smaller seam allowance. I did notice the neck hole looked fairly wide on this pattern so I decreased the width by 3/4″ on each side for a total of 1 1/5″ off the neckline. I now realize I should have gone even narrower. I sewed with a 5/8″ seam allowance instead of the 1/2″ called for.
The second reason it probably didn’t turn out very well is because I chose to do more of a facing for the neck hole instead of totally lining the dress like the pattern calls for. I am not sure if that caused the neckline to turn out a little wonky or if it was the type of fabric I used. The pattern does call for sweater knit, which is what I used, but I think this particular knit had poor recovery. Again I am not sure if the poor recovery is from the type of knit, or using a facing instead of fully lining it. I am kind of thinking it is more the fabric type. After I sewed the lining to the main dress at the neck hole, I flipped and pressed the neckline. The lining was still popping up so I under stitched to try and make that baby lay flat. To no avail, it still popped up. I finally top stitched the neckline which made it stay down. I tried it on Kina. Everywhere fit except the neckline which was so very baggy and it made me want to cry a little. You see I love sewing and I don’t mind putting my time into, except when my project flops. Then I get all grumpy. The funny thing is, when the project flops it is usually because I am trying to rush it. When I step back, take my time, and follow the right steps instead of trying to cop out of some steps, it goes a lot better. When I rush it I pay for it! I was about to give up on it right there when I saw the neckline. The stubbornness in my made me keep going. To try and fix the neckline I sewed a seam that was 3/4″-1″ from the original shoulder seam. This created a pleat look on the sleeve, but hey there have been pleats on sleeves before right? It just added an extra detail! Always go with the positive thinking 🙂 This fixed it to be presentable at least.
The last reason the dress didn’t turn out the best was because I didn’t shorten the sleeves like I normally do. Some patterns fit my girl’s arms great, others I need to shorten. I thought a ruching on the upper sleeve would add a cute detail while allowing me to take it out so she could wear the dress again next year. With that in mind I decided to sew the sleeves as was and see where the length hit to determine if I needed to ruche or not. That plan went wrong when I had to sew the shoulder seam again creating the pleat on the sleeve. No room for the ruching. The sleeves did end up being too long so I flipped the cuff up and tacked it to the sleeve. The cuff looked much better as the pattern intended, but this works too.
There you have it, my very imperfect Margot dress for Kina. I hope it didn’t completely turn you away from my sewing skills. Its a good lesson for me to slow down and take the time to do it right. I am still proud of it, mainly because I didn’t give up on it and got over my perfectionist ways. I hope this post also encourages you that none of us are perfect and even when we mess up, we can learn from our mistakes and keep going!
Pattern: Margot Knit Dress by Violet Threads
Size Sewn: 2T
Measurements: 18.5″ chest
Modifications: Narrowed neckline, flipped cuffs up and tacked, sewed shoulder seam at greater seam allowance, only partially lined instead of fully lined.
My little lady has not been cooperative with pictures lately. I spend my time chasing her around the room. She gets very distressed when I close the door for a better background look. The picture below pretty much sums up our picture taking adventures lately 🙂