Have you been loving all the plaid dresses out right now? I know I have. When Girl Charlee had their Black Friday sale, I snagged up some plaid fabric. I have been wanting to make myself a plaid dress for awhile now. I am really starting to love dresses and my closet is in desperate need of more. I have a pile of fabric patiently waiting to be made into more dresses. The plaid is not only awesome, it was perfect for Christmas. With Christmas approaching I was motivated to get it done.
I had no dress patterns that I felt went with my plaid fabric. Sure they would have worked but after browsing Pinterest I had a specific style in mind. Instead of wasting time trying to find the perfect pattern I decided to use my trusty Hey June patterns to help me out. I chose the Union St Tee and decided to hack it into a dress. I have not made any Union St Tee’s yet, I have been too busy making Hatteras’s and Lane Raglans!! I love all Hey June’s patterns so I knew it wouldn’t be a headache to hack and I would love the fit.
I started by measuring from my shoulder to my waist. Then from my waist to my knee. I wanted the curve of the dress to hit at my natural waist and the dress length to end at my knee. After I recorded the two measurements I traced the pattern. I always trace patterns onto medical paper. That way if I ever want a different size or if I want to hack the pattern, I can easily do it without printing and taping again.
After the pattern was traced I measured from the shoulder to the waist to see if I liked where the curve was. It hit where I wanted but I did change the curve to be a little more dramatic. I wanted it fitted through the waist and flared from the waist down. After changing the waist curve a tiny bit, I cut the pattern on the shorten/lengthen line. Next I spread it apart to the length I wanted using my waist to knee measurement as my guide. Then I taped the pattern onto new paper to fill in the new gap. Then I drew a gradual line from the waist to the bottom of the shirt to form the dress.
Since I wanted the dress to flare I slashed and spread the pattern. I made 4 vertical slashes from the bottom of the dress to the waist 2″ apart. Then taped it in place and drew new lines. Next I simply cut out my new pattern! It is the same process for the back. Or if you are lazy like me I just used the same piece by attaching the very top neckline of the back piece to the front piece. Simply un-tape that tiny piece when cutting out the front.
After the pattern was all cut out and ready to go I simply followed the instructions that went with the Union St Tee pattern! There you have it, easy peasy, comfy and cute dress!! I really need to take the time and learn how to match up plaids. I thought I was doing really good, but It ended up I wasn’t doing as good as I thought 0: It isn’t that noticeable so I supposed it is ok.