While I have missed blogging about my makes, I have found it so relaxing to just enjoy my family and do my own thing. I don’t know about you, but social media can get my down quick. It’s so easy for me to compare my story to someone else’s. My last blog was about the Business Boutique and it really helped me gain a new perspective on what I want to do with my business. With that gained clarity, instead of constantly making things for me and my kiddo and keeping up with social media, I have been working on custom things for others, and well since it’s Christmas lots of gift making. Many of these things I can’t share so the more custom work I do (I will be able to share at some point, just not right away), the less blogging I will be doing. I even went shopping the other day to buy myself some clothes. Gasp! I really love sewing my own clothes, but I have begun to realize I can’t do everything, so I will do what I can!
With that being said I was able to make Kina a winter coat. I was planning on splurging this year and buying real wool for her winter coat, but I decided against it once I saw the price tag. I decided since she only wears it one season I will save the money and go with a different fabric. I have been wanting to make myself a coat though. If I ever get around to it, I probably will splurge on wool since I will be able to keep it for along time.
Last year I made Kina a coat and used the Abbey Jacket pattern. I pretty much did the same modifications to this coat as I did last years. I did sew up a size 3T for this years even though she is in size 2T. I wanted her coat to be big enough to use a non-stretch fabric with enough room for sweaters and bulkier clothing underneath. I had my heart set on making a solid Navy jacket this year, but as I was browsing JoAnn’s, I found this cream bonded mesh. I have no clue what bonded mesh is, but I loved the fabric. It was pretty light for a winter jacket so I put it in my cart as a “maybe” and continued browsing for a better fabric. I ended up deciding I was going to make this fabric work. I really loved it. I decided to put two layers of a soft fleece in instead of just one. I also lined the sleeves.
I had in mind I wanted a ruffle bottom and side pockets. I normally buy too much fabric you know “just in case”. This time, however I ended up buying just enough so I wouldn’t have extra fabric I didn’t need floating around. At the time of buying the fabric, I wasn’t exactly sure I wanted the ruffle. Well when I started making it, I ran out of fabric quick so no ruffle this time. I actually had to modify my plans a little because I clearly had not bought enough. The pockets are fake and I wasn’t planning on adding the furry fleece to the collar. I ended up adding the cream fleece to the collar and top portion of the back bodice since I ran out of the other fabric. I actually really love how it turned out!
I did end up making one extra button strap because I didn’t like how her last coat was open in her belly area. The pattern does not tell you how much the sleeve hem is so I made the sleeve extra long this time and tried the coat on her and marked where I wanted the sleeve to end. The other thing I noticed with the pattern was the collar doesn’t seem to line up perfectly. I remember having that problem on her last coat and it happened again, so I am pretty sure it wasn’t user error. You can notice in some of the pictures how the collar doesn’t line up perfectly with the coat front. It is fine, it doesn’t bother me that much but I would prefer it to be lined up correctly. If I had enough fabric I would have redone it, but my random thrifty ways were not a success this time ;).
All in all, I really love how this coat turned out! The first time I wore in on her however, she got black marks on it. I supposed Navy would have been better for a 2 year old. Oh well ;).
Size sewn: 3T with 4T length (I wanted it extra long!
Modifications: Same as previous coat + added faux pockets and one extra button tab.
Changes for next time: Redrafting the collar so it lines up properly.